Fishing has always been a favorite pastime for a lot of people. While there are some people that fish through the necessity to eat, others like to do it simply because they enjoy it. One method of fishing that’s become more and more popular over the past few years is using stand up paddle boards or SUPs. Fishing using either inflatable paddle boards or stand-up paddle boards is great fun once you get the hang of it. The hardest part about it is finding your balance, but as soon as you have that under control you’ll be fine. It’s also a good form of exercise too believe it or not.
To help you get started in the world of SUP fishing or to help anyone who’s looking for a new board, we’ve put together a list of some of the best fishing SUP boards out there at the moment. But first, we’re going to take you through what makes a good fishing SUP board and what to look out for when shopping for one.
Things to consider when buying a new fishing SUP board:
- Weight capacity: Different paddle boards have different weight limits to ensure your safety. So, before you leave for your shopping trip make sure you know how much both you and the gear you’re going to be paddle boarding with weighs. A SUP board with a bigger weight capacity is going to be more stable in the water, but at the same time will be less agile.
- Width: When choosing the right paddle board, it should be proportionate to your own size. Wider boards are far more stable than narrow ones and are probably a better option for beginners.
- Length: You may be surprised to know that the length of a SUP board can make a big difference in terms of how stable the board is. The longer the board, the easier it will be to control and keep stable. For fishing, the ideal length of a SUP board is around 11 or 12 feet.
- Type: The two main types of fishing SUP boards are solid or inflatable, both of which have their advantages. With a solid SUP board, you get better performance and more stability, but you have to have somewhere to store it. Inflatable SUP boards are softer and more suited to handle any bumps in the water. They’re also ideal for carrying and storing.
- Warranty: While you would hope you’d never need to use a warranty when buying a paddle board, it’s good to know one is in place.
Now you know a little more about the kind of things to take into consideration when shopping for a new fishing SUP board, we’ll take you through some of the more popular ones out there at the moment.
Made from blow-molded polyethylene, this averagely priced fishing SUP board is the pretty good all-around. It’s equipped with deck bungees, a cargo bay, storage hatches, and even a flip-up seat to make your trip as comfortable as possible. On top of that, there are two rod holders, four fishing mounts, and one paddle clip. The load capacity on this board is 305 pounds. In case you’re new to the world of SUP fishing, there are even sweet spot markers to help you know where to stand to remain balanced. What more could you possibly want?
If you’re looking for a slightly cheaper option to your standard solid SUP, why not check out the Zray FS7? This inflatable fishing SUP is ideal for anyone that’s planning to move it around with them as it can literally be packed up to the size of a sleeping bag once you’ve finished catching your fish for the day. When it’s inflated, the Zray FS7 is a force to be reckoned with. Being 6” thick and weighing in at 28 pounds you have no worries about stability with this board. But, at the same time, it’s light enough to move around without too much strain. This really is one of the best inflatable fishing SUP boards out there.
Produced by one of the best board manufacturers out there, this angler fishing SUP is not for beginners. Made from a blue and white epoxy fiberglass, it’s durable and hard-wearing and overall is one of the highest quality SUPs around. It’s also very lightweight, making maneuvering much easier. Equipped with an integrated carry handle, bungee, and a gear rack designed to hold two rods, you have everything you need to enjoy a relaxing day fishing with this board. At just 250 pounds, the load capacity on it is a little lower than some but if you’re going to be doing this on a regular basis the pounds will soon fall off anyway.
This fishing SUP is perfect for beginners as it’s been designed for stability and is such a good price. Another great feature of this board is that the top deck has extra padding to ensure not only extra comfort but extra resistance to dings too. Bearing that in mind, this fishing SUPs suitable for the young, old, or even your dog! Armed with fins, bungees, and a leash, you’ve got everything you need with this board to get started. And, the weight capacity for this Gold Coast Surfboard SUO is 275 pounds so is suitable for pretty much anyone.
If you’re looking for a board that’s stable enough to keep you safe, durable enough to last, and is a reasonable price, then look no further. The Aqua Marina Drift Fishing Inflatable SUP is a great choice for anyone wanting to hit the seas for a spot of fishing. It’s equipped with side chambers for convenient storage and elastic bungee cords that will keep any cargo in place. Along with the board, you also get a fish cooler and fishing rod holders, making it even better value for money.
Well, we hope you’ve found this article useful and now have at least some idea as to the type of fishing SUP you’re looking for. Whatever type of fishing paddle board you do decide on, just remember to stay safe. Happy fishing!